Monday 2 April 2012

‘I am ready to pose nude’

Beri Beri crooner, Dencia, is one of the hottest babes in the nation's music industry. However, little or nothing is known about her. In this interview with KAZEEM POPOOLA, the emerging Afro-pop music queen, born Reprudencia Sonkey, opens up on her life, music career and other matters. Excerpts:
 Why the choice of Nigeria over Cameroun?
I am a Nigerian Cameroonian. My dad is Nigerian and my mother a Cameroonian. I was born and raised in Cameroun and that doesn't say that I am not a Nigerian. I currently reside in the United States (US). That doesn't make me a non-African. I've been staying in Cameroun for 17 years; its  not about preference but a business move. I came to Nigeria to establish myself because it is the entertainment headquarters of Africa.
When precisely did you leave Cameroun for California?
Five years ago.
How would you compare Cameroun with Nigeria In terms of music trend?
Cameroun is known for Makkossa, Bekuti and the likes but most Nigerian artistes do more of hip-hop, pop, R n B, Afro-pop among other popular genres of music. Cameroun is still growing in hiphop and afro- pop culture. For me, California and Nigeria are a perfect blend to be in.
Having tasted Cameroonian, Californian and Nigerian music environment, how would you brand your own kind of music?
I am an Afro-Pop artiste but with the pace I am going now, I am not going to put myself in a box because I am currently recording a dancehall track
How would you explain the trait of a model in you?
I used to be a model and a designer before I switched to music. Though, I was not much of a runway model, I appeared in musical videos. My fans in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Cameroun and Liberia don't see me as a model, they see me as an artiste but the modelling thing came up when they started tracing my history
Is that to say you have abandoned modelling for music?
I did not abandon modelling neither have I dumped acting. I see myself working for other people as a model cum actress. I have done movies with Van Vicker, Nanso Daobi among others and as a model I have worked with different agencies, appeared in music videos and the likes. But I am now into music which is my own. I am currently doing what I always wanted to do. I won't abandon modelling and acting because I will definitely grab any opportunity that comes. I will be on the runway show if I'm invited, and I will do other things if the pay is good.
What are some of the jobs you've done as a model cum actress?
I started featuring in movies at the early age of 12. I did a movie titled ˜Wendy'  when I was 14. I recently featured in a movie titled Paparazzi Eye in the Dark, it paraded Gollywood and Nollywood movie stars. I have done a lot of runways in the US but not much in Nigeria. I have also done some in Cameroun. I have appeared in the musical videos of 50cent, Jeremiah, Luda Chris, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Quincy Jones, among others.
How would you describe your personality?
I am just different, though; people call me Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and all that, I am Dencia. Those people mentioned and I have different styles and our kinds of music are different. You already have two hit singles to your credit, when are you dropping a full album? I am not thinking about album right now because I am still building my fan base. Beri Beri was my debut single that I released but I have other songs that were never released. I did not release them because they are too western, a kind of Californian touch that might not work in Africa. I may release those songs after I might have built my fan base.
How long have you been in Nigeria?
I stayed for one week the first time I came to Nigeria in 2009 and I spent a month the second time but it’s going to two weeks now that I have been around.
Which part of Nigeria did your father come from?
All I know is that he’s from Calabar neither do I know his or where he is.
How can you explain that?
We don't have a relationship
What happened?
I was raised by my grandparents and I don't know that they are not my parents until I was 15 years old.
Didn't your grandparents tell you any story relating to your birth?
No
What about your mother?
She is in Cameroun but I don't really care because I am now a grown up woman. My grandmother remains my mother till date; my mum is still considered as a sister, so where is my father going to come in? Uncle or what? Sometimes things are better left the way they are.
What part of your body do you cherish the most?
I cherish every part of my body because they all need to be together to make me.
What about the news making the rounds that you went under the knives for body augmentation?
No, I haven't done any body augmentation
What about your boobs and butt?
Do they look like as if they have been augmented (shaking her boobs)? You are here with me, do they look fake? I don't have cosmetic surgery.
It was in the news sometimes ago that you were involved in a dirty fight with a friend...
I wouldn't call her a friend but a stranger. A friend can never attack me. For somebody to have attacked me, I will call the person a stranger. I did not fight with anybody, I was going to the bathroom and I was attacked. Fortunately, my Personal Assistant and some other people were there to stop her from going any further.
Can you pose nude for products or brands?
I will bare it all if it's for a good cause! I am an animal lover and I don't mind posing nude for Peta, a firm in America that fights for rights of animals. If they are torturing animal somewhere and I have to go and campaign against that, I will bare it all. Mind you, so far my boobs are covered with fur or something while the rest of the body will be out
Is there anything that can make you cry?
I cry a lot, most especially when it comes to things that concern my dog. Moreover, I can get emotional when it comes to movies.
You have really invested in your music career; do you have other businesses that take care of your expenses?
It's not really about money but what you love doing. So far it's my calling; God will take care of the rest.
What about your love life?
I am single and I am not dating anybody at the moment. God decides and I don't even think about men.
Why?
I have been in a couple of relationships.
What happened?
It is just didn't work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Reality Entertainment.
















It's All About showbiz.............