Monday 26 March 2012

‘I don’t give up easily’- A.Y

Ayo Makun, popularly known as AY, is a compeer extraordinaire with an amazing sense of humour and excellent carriage on stage. He is also one of the most sought after humour merchants in the country. In this interview with KAZEEM POPOOLA, he spoke on his rise in the entertainment industry and other matters. Excerpts:
How can A.Y be branded in the comedy business?
You can call it A.Y because he has already branded himself as A.Y. I cut across. I am more of the type that you would call the comedian with a form of intellectual balance and a social commentator. I talk about situations and things that are happening around. Sometimes, I talk about myself.

You’ve once said that your wife and kid are the two important people in your life. What about Rev. Chris Okotie and Ali Baba?
Ali Baba is like a father to me. He did all the nudging and prodding. He is the number one person who believed in me, and still does. Ours is like a father and son kind of relationship whereby the father is always responsible for the son’s need. He groomed me to the point where I can now fend for myself, but he still plays a supervisory role in my life. He actually brought me into the industry; he gave me shelter and food when I first came to Lagos. Rev. Okotie is somebody that I started out talking about. He is somebody whose name I used for my comedy routine and people loved the idea of me talking about him. The man equally loved it even when people thought that whatever I did was to his detriment and we became friends. He looked at me one day and said “take one million naira”. Apart from the money, he came out again to say that A.Y. should be seen as his son. It’s just a confirmation of the scripture which says that, your talent would make you dine with the kings and princes. He is still very much around as well, he calls me up to ask after my family and me.  He is involved in anything that I do.

What was on your mind the first time you saw your wife?
I saw a beautiful lady who should contest for a beauty pageant that I was organising then. I approached her and she turned me down (laughs). Like I told you, I don’t give up on anything but I gave up on her about the beauty pageant. However, I did not give up on her to become the woman of my life.

What is your definition of comedy?
Comedy is to make people laugh or do something to induce laughter. Comedy for me is making people laugh the more and more and at the same time smiling to the bank even more.

What makes a good stand-up comedian?
A good stand-up comedian is that person who can put his act right. He must be original, somebody who understands his audience, knows what and not to say. He is somebody who makes sense at corporate circle and conforms to the standard of the settings which he finds himself.

Have you ever been stoned on stage?

Nobody has ever stoned me on stage. But I have been yanked off the stage once and that was at Lagbaja’s Mother Lan’. I allowed one very small success of doing so well in one other show to enter my head. So, when I was introduced on stage, I was asking the audience all sorts of questions, and they got up, and they were like “who is this” before I could defend that, I was yanked off the stage. I created a balance the following month when I went back. I reported back to Ali Baba and he brought me back. He introduced me on stage and the same people who yanked me off gave me a standing ovation. That ovation is what that has been keeping me, because if they had yanked me off the second time, you won’t be able to interview me today, because I won’t be a comedian (laughs).

From a comedian’s point of view, how would you describe the Nigerian audience?

They are receptive, they love what you can call ‘fun life’, they are ready and want to know what you have for them. That’s why you keep seeing them coming out en masse for shows. The situation in the country itself is stressful and they know that comedians are playing a vital role in keeping them alive. The Nigerian audience likes to associate themselves with the comedians, if you tell them that XYZ is on the bill, they are coming out to see him because they like him. They are warm and just want to get a good laugh.

Many people now think that fame is now creeping into your head. What is your take?
I don’t think that anybody would say that. Actually, people are entitled to their own opinions. What I can say is that I am still very much the same person I was before and now, I am still very much accessible. We are naturally biased about situations. Mr. B could walk past you and say good morning and if Mr. B becomes somebody and he says good morning sir, Nigerians would still want to tell you that the good morning does not sound like other good mornings. I have a prostitute telephone number; almost everybody in Lagos has it. I just put it on my show because I want direct access where people can talk to me or discuss about anything. I think it’s good medium as well.

What makes a joke funny?

It is when a joke is very funny to yourself and you say it to one or two other people and it’s funny to them; you take it to both the small and bigger audiences and it’s funny. With the assessment before the bigger audience, you will know if it’s a good joke, then you can face people with confidence.

Does your wife always take you serious at home?

Yes. We have a very serious life; we treat serious issues that do not involve comedy. But comedy keeps the whole thing alive. As a comedian you want to give her a quick joke to make her forget one or two things which you are supposed to do for money. It works but it does not affect the seriousness in the relationship that I share with my wife.

Who are your contemporaries?

I have Seyi Law, Emeka Smith, MC Perwi and quite lot of them.

What about I go Dye, Ghandoki and Koffi?

Those are my ogas; they are the people who opened the road for me to come into the industry. I don’t see them as my contemporaries but as my ogas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Reality Entertainment.
















It's All About showbiz.............