Saturday 28 May 2011

I need woman who will marry me with $250M- Seun Kuti

Like father, like son is the right word to describe the bold, blunt and care free attitude of Seun, the scion of late Abami Eda, Fela Anikulapo Kuti.  With Seun phenomenon rise and rise in fame, it unarguable that the proverbial shoe left by Fela, Afro music legend, is a right size for his son to step in. Moreover how Seun runs Egypt 80, his late father’s musical band is better imagined.
He recently opens up to KAZEEM POPOOLA, on his career, new album, love life and other interesting issues. Here are the excerpts. 
How was your global tour?
It was fine; everybody had a good time, most especially during our first major music tour in U.K. Although, we have played in almost all the major cities before, that was the first time we would tour the whole UK extensively. In that aspect, I was so happy to have achieved that.
As a scion of late Afro music legend, what part of you do you think people don’t understand?
Some people, most especially in Nigeria, do jump into conclusion that I am playing my father’s music or I am trying to be like him.
Are you now saying that you are not playing Fela’s music?
I have recorded two albums, which contained my own songs, why should I be playing Fela’s music? I only perform to Fela’s songs at shows. It is good to use Fela as cover at shows; most big artistes do that when they are playing live shows. I do that also but it is wrong for people to dismiss my act as Fela imitation.
You sound to be independent, so, what distinguishes you from Fela?
I am not Fela! My personality and his are different, though, I believe in his ideology and what he achieved.  Our individual personalities reflect in kind of music we play. Those who are familiar with what I do, describe my songs as new Afro beat and I always tell them that it is a reflection of me as a young artiste.
Apart from playing Afro beat that was created by Fela, do you also pick his weird by nature?
I don’t think that Fela is weird; it is people that exaggerated his personality. Fela is real, and weird is not the right word to classify a real person. In term of life he lived, I pick lot of things from my Dad. He was a straightforward person, who believed in equality and justice, and he used his music as voice of the people. These are the things, which I believed in as well. All my songs are political and social conscious. I have added my own, as part of struggle for the freedom of Africa, which is the reason Afro beat was created. I think Afro beat is a musical section of Africa revolution.
Let us compare you debut album to the latest one?
There is much improvement and my music is even different now. Any musician, who is not better than his last effort, is not working. Music is art and science, the more you practice the more better you become. I have grown and matured within that space of three years, and that has greatly reflected in my new album.
Who is controlling Egypt 80 now?
I oversee and control the band
How are you coping as a young boy?
We are close unit, I control the band administrative wise, not telling people what to do or how to play. We all love music that we play and we are real musician. That made it unnecessary for me to command and control everything. I don’t run the band like master, what we are having in Egypt 80 band is more of a family like relationship.
What about Seun and women?
What can I say? At least I am not a gay! I have a very healthy relationship with women
Do you have a girlfriend?
I don’t really have a girlfriend
What happen?
I said I am single, is it by force to have a girlfriend. (Laughs)
Are you saying you have not seen any girl, who catches your fancy?
I chose to be single, maybe I see too many girls, who catch my fancy. I have been in a relationship but right now, I am single
Are you not going to marry?
I am not somebody that believes in marriage
Why?              
 I don’t know, except if I see a very rich woman, who is going to marry me with 250 million dollars
You will not be bothered if people start saying that you are a gigolo.
If anybody marries me with 250 million dollars and you call me a gigolo, I will bear the title, no problem.
How do you unwind?
I watch TV, I love playing football a lot, do exercise and playing my saxophone. My Sax really relaxes me.
At what age did you start playing Sax?
That was 10 to 11 years ago, but my main instrument was piano. I quit playing the piano when I started playing sax.
Let us talk about fashion.
I can wear anything so far it is not a suit and wearing ties. The only suit that I had was worn as a groom man at my cousin is weeding.
What inspires your music composition?
Believe in Afro beat alone is an inspiration. I also draw inspiration from things that happen around me, most especially, the things that involve the youths.
Memorable moment during your musical tour abroad...
There are many memorable moments; every night is a memorable night. It will be unfair to my fans to be saying that one venue is more memorable than the other is, but the London gig was very memorable, I had fun.
How is your relationship with other siblings, especially Femi?
I have two brothers and two sisters, Kunle, Motun, Femi, Yeni and I, we all are having a good relationship.
What about the rumour making the rounds that you and Femi are not in good term?
Because newspaper must sell, any small thing dey see, dey times it by 50 and make it look like something that is important. Femi is 20 years my senior, people should not expect to see us walking the street and going to clubs together. We don’t have the same friends, the same interest and not from the same generation.
How old are you?
28
I can see that you love dogs...
I only have only one dog, it is not even a dog, it’s my son
Why is it that there are fewer people playing Afro music in Nigeria?
I think it’s very difficult for young people to pursue a career in Afro music because it is pure live music, it’s not a one man bad of a thing. It’s quite expensive to maintain a full band in Afro music.
What about the sales of you albums
The first one was successful and the latest one was just released in UK. The reaction has been very good and a five star reviews from the media home and abroad
Did Fela have a particular pet name given to you?
My father does not give pet names, his name is Fela, and I am Seun. We call ourselves by names, Seun. Yes Fela (Laughs)
Did he advise you to go into music?
Fela is not that kind of a father that tells you what to do. Fela never told me to do music, the only thing he does was to support you in any of your decisions. Fela is the best father; he never forced his children to do what doesn’t come from their minds
Your disappointing moment
Very obvious, I am an orphan and that is disappointing enough

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Reality Entertainment.
















It's All About showbiz.............